Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Oscars; Jaws (conclusion)

LAB: until 7:50.

Oscar Winners, 2018

Extra credit: If you watched the Oscars this Sunday and completed the Oscar Ballot (handout from last class) note how many of your predictions came true. Post a comment on my blog about how well you guessed the outcome of the award winners this year. What surprised you? What did you learn about the film industry from watching? Can you identify what the winning films may have had in common--or are there patterns of subject matter that seemed to point at a larger theme or conflict occurring in our society? What might that be in your opinion? Your post should be at least 100 words or more for credit.

With time remaining in the lab, please choose one film script to read from this website. As you read, examine the script for its narrative style (due March 9). See our previous post for details about narratology and film narrative styles. Be prepared to answer an essay question during our lab time on March 9th.

Period 1/2: (7:50)

We will continue watching Jaws. We will finish the film today in class.

HOMEWORK: Read your chosen film script and take notes on its narrative style and techniques.

3 comments:

Mariangelis Gonzalez said...

This 2018, I watched the Oscars. I saw many actors and actresses with fancy clothes. Many of the movies that were on the Oscar Ballot were not that good. For most of the categories, I chose the ones that I had watched and it was like two or three of the choices. For Best Picture, The Shape of Water won. I was thinking that Dunkirk would've won because it seemed very true story with the way that the story was portrayed in pictures. The Shape of Water seemed to be like a movie that many liked because it won in many categories that I thought it wouldn't have. I was hoping for Mary J. Blige form Mudbound to win the best actress in a supporting role, but Allison Janney did from I, Tonya. For me, Get Out was the last choice I had for original screenplay, yet it won in that category. Out of all the choices, Logan was my favorite movie. I thought that it was such a good movie, but it didn't win in the best adapted screenplay. The Boss Baby was such a good animated feature, but Coco seemed better. I was unsatisfied with the winners, especially since I thought that there were better movies that they could have put as choices. I learned that the film industry doesn't only look at how good the story is, it looks at other things like visual effects, sound mixing, sound editing, costume design, etc. The Shape of Water and Dunkirk seemed to be a big hit this year in the Oscars and they won in many areas. the most that I agreed with was Blade Runner 2049 being the movie with the best visual effects.

James Talada said...

"Lady-has-sex-with-fish" won Best Picture, so I was dead wrong
Props to Gary Oldman for making me right, though

#MeToo

Unknown said...

Justice

My predictions were mostly wrong. I only guessed three right. The one thing I learned was that the industry loves coming of age movies and apparently a fish having sex with a female. They also love gay movies, or anything that deals with contemporary issues. I believe Boss Baby should have swept the Oscars this year. Why are all of the winning, "good" movies never succeed in the box office and are virtually unheard of?

The Murky Middle (Even More Advice)

Aristotle wrote that stories should have a beginning, middle, and end. Middles can be difficult. You might have a smashing opening to a stor...