Please complete your film documentaries and turn in as an MP4 file to me by the end of class. We will view these projects Friday.
ANNOUNCEMENTS: Scripts for the Playwrights' Festival are due by the end of the week. If you are interested in seeing your work on stage, live, with real actors, sets, costumes, etc., and are willing to put in some time working with your script and cast, please submit a copy of your script to me by Friday.
The Creative Writing Department's production of Twilight Los Angeles, 1992
is occurring tonight at 7:00 in the Ensemble Theater. Please support your department by coming. If you do, I'll give you extra credit if you respond to the play production on the forum.
When you have completed your film project, please move on to the following task:
Read Tim Dirks' Filmsite and answer the questions below. It is probably more interesting to actually READ the article, then answer questions (as opposed to hunting for answers). You will also learn more if you read and digest the article instead of just looking for answers. Start here
. Use the arrows at the bottom of the webpage to go to the next section. Take notes on important information.
You will be tested on this material at the end of our silent film unit.
1. We have discussed various film projecting machines. Name some other projecting machines and their date and inventor.
2. Name some other film production companies rivaling the Edison Company.
3. What innovations did the American Mutoscope & Biograph Company create for film?
4. Who was dubbed "The Father of Story Film"?
5. What is a "Nickelodeon"?
6. Choose one of the first feature length films in American cinema. Provide a brief description and details about the film.
7. Who was D.W. Griffith? How did he influence film? Name 3 of his films and their dates.
8. How did big business influence early film?
9. What was the MPPC? What companies belonged to this trust?
10. Name 3 independent film companies. Which ones are still around today?
Why did filmmakers and producers want to move west? Describe Hollywood
before and after the arrival of the major film companies.
12. What was Kinemacolor?
13. What was the result of the anti-trust laws in regards to the MPPC?
14. Who was Carl Laemmle? What was the name of his company?
15. Who was dubbed "America's Sweetheart"?
16. What sort of plot or characters could be found in the early movie serials?
17. Who was Thomas Harper Ince? What kinds of pictures did he specialize in?
18. Who is considered the "King of Comedy"?
19. Which comedians got their start with Keystone?
20. Name 3 of Charlie Chaplin's early films.
21. Name the key actors, producers, and directors who created United Artists.
22. Who was Lois Weber? Name 3 of her films.
23. Who was Francis Marion? Name 3 films she wrote.
24. Name the 5 major studios before 1930. What advancements or innovations did they allow for in film of the time?
25. When was Walt Disney studios created? Where was it located?
HOMEWORK: Please complete the reading of this web article and answer the 25 questions for homework. Additionally, please read the article handout on the Oscars, the Edison Monopoly, and the Hollywood Studio System. The Oscars are airing on Feb. 26 (Sunday). If you watch them and post a response to the forum, you will receive extra credit. Due: Feb. 28.