This morning take a few minutes to watch these videos from the play Spic-O-Rama by John Leguizamo. As you watch the video, consider the script and its characters and themes. In a paragraph or two to turn in by the end of period 1, please write an answer to this question:
"One person plays showcase an actor's range and ability while often addressing issues that are sometimes overlooked by mainstream audiences. In regard to Spic-o-Rama, explain how the play showcases John Leguizamo's talent as an actor and writer, why he might have chosen the characters he did to portray in the play, and how he structurally put the play together to create an effective theatrical experience." Please use specific examples to support your answers.
During period 2, please continue to work on Module 1. If you have not yet completed Module 0, you are falling fast behind the rest of the class. Please make up the work as homework.
Literary signposts: To deepen your reading/watching experience...
- Contrasts & Contradictions: When a character does something that contrasts with what you'd expect or contradicts an earlier act or statement, ask: "Why is this character doing that?"
- The Aha Moment: When a character realizes, understands, or finally figures something out, ask: "how might knowing this change things?"
- Tough Questions: When a character asks a very difficult question, ask: "What does this question make me wonder about?"
- Words of the Wiser: When a character takes the main character aside and offers advice, ask: "What's the life lesson, and how might it affect this character?"
- Again & Again: When you notice a word or phrase or situation repeated over and over, ask yourself: "Why does this keep happening again and again?"
- Memory Moment: When the character describes a memory; think: "why might this memory be important?"