Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Getting an Idea for a Script

When deciding on making a film, your first decision is often based on your resources. If you have a camera and editing equipment or software available, you are half-way there. But you also need locations, actors, props, costumes, etc. The trickiest part can be deciding on a subject.

To help you, consider the following:
1. What kind of movies do I like?
2. What kind of movie would I like to see?
3. What genre of movie do I like the most?
4. What style of film (realism, formalism, classicism) would I like to create?

The style of film you choose will determine how you approach your subject matter, how much camera work or editing will be needed, and whether or not you focus on subject matter, symbolism, character, setting, or plot.

5. Who might help me with my film?
6. Do I have the settings/locations to shoot my idea?
7. Do I have the props or actors I need to shoot my idea?
8. How much time am I willing to work on this project?
9. What do I want to say? What point do I need to make?
10. Which filmmakers (or films) will I use as inspiration?

Try to answer as many of these questions BEFORE you begin writing your 1 page treatment.

A treatment is simply a summary of your intent. What is your film going to be about? Use the questions above to help you explain your idea to me.

No comments:

The Murky Middle (Even More Advice)

Aristotle wrote that stories should have a beginning, middle, and end. Middles can be difficult. You might have a smashing opening to a stor...